Re: Recursive variable `KBUILD_CFLAGS' references itself(eventually).

From: Dave Jones
Date: Mon Dec 31 2007 - 11:10:42 EST

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 02:16:19PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> > Trying to do a 32bit build on a 64bit machine.
> > I did..
> > make ARCH=i386 oldconfig
> > make ARCH=i386 arch/x86/
>
> Walking through my mailbox I found this one.
> I did not get similar reports and I cannot reproduce it.
> Do you continue to see this or had it been fixed somehow?

Still happens for me with the latest tree from git.

$ make ARCH=i386 arch/x86/
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
UPD include/linux/utsrelease.h
CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
/mnt/raid0/src/linux-2.6/arch/x86/Makefile_32:43: *** Recursive variable `KBUILD_CFLAGS' references itself (eventually). Stop.
make: *** [arch/x86/] Error 2

> The only way I can see it heppen is that you have lost
> the initial assignmnet in top-level Makefile so
> make see this as an '=' assinment and not a ':='
> assignment.

$ git diff Makefile
$

(This tree is completely pristine, no changes at all)

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk