Re: What's in store for 2008 for TuxOnIce?

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Jan 01 2008 - 18:19:57 EST

On Tuesday, 1 of January 2008, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi all.

Hi Nigel,

> With the start of a new year, I suppose it's a good time to think about
> what I'd like to do with TuxOnIce this year and see what feedback I get.
>
> First up, I'm thinking about closing the mailing lists and asking people
> to use LKML instead for reporting issues and so on. I'm thinking about
> this because it will help with allowing people who work on mainline to
> see how stable (or otherwise!) TuxOnIce is now. It should also help when
> (as often happens) bug reports aren't actually issues with the patch,
> but with vanilla (ie drivers).

I would also like the TuxOnIce issues related to drivers, ACPI, etc. to go to
one of the kernel-related lists, but I think linux-pm may be better for that
due to the much lower traffic.

> Perhaps it will also help with whatever effort I find time to make towards
> convincing Andrew that it really does have significant advantages over
> [u]swsusp and kexec based hibernation.
>
> Secondly, I'm planning on moving the website soonish. It's taken longer
> than I planned because it will be sharing with another server I'm
> maintaining, and it has taken longer than expected to find good hosting
> for the other server (which was done first). Now that I'm happy with the
> other server's state, I'm hoping to start shifting
> suspend2.net/tuxonice.net soon.
>
> For those who might be looking for hosting themselves, I'm using
> slicehost. I initially tried GoDaddy, but had terrible service, problems
> with draconian limits on the volume of outgoing email (1000/day by
> default - useless if you're doing mailing lists) and unexpected,
> unexplained delays in mail delivery through the SMTP delay they force
> you to use. Slicehost, on the other hand, are terrific to deal with in
> everyway. If you sign up with them because of this email, please
> consider putting my email (nigel at suspend2.net) as the referrer - I
> then get a discount on the cost of the hosting.
>
> Third, regarding the patch itself, I'm taking my time in working towards
> the 3.0 release. We don't have any major bugs with 3.0-rc3 reported, but
> I have some things I want to complete before the final release:
> * see it well tested;
> * get a finished initial version of the cluster support;
> * finish completing support for the new resume-from-other kernels
> functionality that Rafael has added in 2.6.24. (We can resume from the
> same kernel at the moment, but I need to convince myself that nosave
> data is properly handled).

Have you finished the support for freezing filesystems before freezing tasks
that we talked about some time ago?

Greetings,
Rafael