Re: Get physical MAC address

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Tue Jan 01 2008 - 23:58:19 EST

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 12:39:11PM +0700, Theewara Vorakosit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I get MAC address from ioctl. However, ifconfig can change this MAC
> address. Can I get a real physical MAC address of the NIC?

yes. It's ETHTOOL_GPERMADDR to the ethtool ioctl.

case ETHTOOL_GPERMADDR:
rc = ethtool_get_perm_addr(dev, useraddr);
break;

When the driver is first loaded, before ifconfig can change the MAC
address, the existing (permanent) MAC address is stored away, able to
be retrieved via this ioctl. Jon Wetzel, a Dell intern of a few
summers ago, wrote the code and was able to have it included.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch