Re: Fwd: laptop / computer hardlocks during execution of 32bitapplications(binaries) on 64bit system (Gentoo)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 03:40:35 EST

* Miguel Botón <mboton.lkml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> These hardlocks start to appear with commit
> f10c1cfd359660c01446807b6c2bc8ce3aee919a

thanks, that's really useful! I dont see anything obviously wrong with
the commit though, and cannot (yet) reproduce it, so to help us track it
down further, could you try to figure out the lockup site? Does the NMI
watchdog work on your box?

if the NMI watchdog does not work, can you reproduce it on a VGA
console? If yes, then running the app that does the hard lockup via
"strace -f <app>" could perhaps show us the last system call that
happened before the box locked up. If we are lucky it's something
specific.

here's the guilty commit from latest x86.git#mm:

commit 81376371f1ca371de54aa4488edc541580d95a01
Author: Roland McGrath <roland@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue Jan 1 21:55:28 2008 +0100

x86 i387 user_regset

Ingo