Re: WARNING: do not add new typedefs - is that for real?

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 07:27:51 EST

On Wed, Jan 02 2008 at 12:08 +0200, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 06:15:46PM +0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>> I have this code:
>>
>> <c_code>
>> /*
>> * osd-r10 4.12.5 Data-In and Data-Out buffer offsets
>> * byte offset = mantissa * (2^(exponent+8))
>> */
>> typedef __be32 osd_cdb_offset;
>
> Given that you can't do normal arithmetic on this type it should't
> really be a __be32 but it's own __bitwise type with proper accessors.
There are all the proper accessors, and arithmetic is certainly not possible.

> But yes, this is one of the rare cases where a typedef makes sense,
> but ï'd call it osd_off_t or something like that.

You mean osd_cdb_offset_t. I thought of dropping that _t, I hate it,
just a personal preference.

Point taken about the typedef + __bitwise. Because with __bitwise we
tell the compiler that the new type is assembly equivalent to some type
but otherwise un-mixable and unique type. Checkpatch actually allows
it. Code fixed! Thanks Christoph.

Boaz