Re: [2.6.24 patch] let EXT4DEV_FS depend on BROKEN

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 16:17:37 EST

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 07:26:29PM +0100, Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Wed, 2 Jan 2008 03:32:18 +0200, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> escribiÃ:
>
> > It might make sense to offer ext4 in -mm and even in early -rc kernels,
> > but I've already seen people using ext4 simply because a stable kernel
> > offered it - and that's definitely not intended.
>
> But isn't that the whole purpose of having ext4 snapshots in the stable kernel - to
> allow people to try it?

ext4 has quite an unusual development model for kernel code, other
code in the state of ext4 is usually only in -mm and not in stable
kernels.

Stable kernels are mainly meant for usage, not for trying stuff.
And although I see a point in perhaps shipping some not-yet-perfect
device drivers for otherwise unsupported hardware or some
not-yet-perfect filesystems required for accessing foreign
(non-Linux) filesystems, I don't see any point in offering a
WIP Linux-only filesystem in stable kernels.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed