Re: memory remapping, 4gb memory on 945gt

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 17:05:01 EST

Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:

Now I can understand this explanation for 32-bit mode, but I'm running
in 64-bit mode. There should be a way to use the fourth gig under
Linux. Is there?
The chipset limitation applies to 64bit mode as well as to 32bit mode
(which actually does not have a 4GB limitation with PAE)

Note that some system and memory vendors have incorrect statements
stating that the 3.xGB limit is a 32bit OS issue on these machines
and it'll all just work fine on 64bit OSs.

Supposedly WinXP-32 doesn't use memory over 4 GB even if it is available (a market-segmentation decision of the part of Microsoft, to force people to buy WinServer 2003; WinXP SP2 does PAE so there is no technical reason.) This probably has disincentivized hardware vendors from providing support for remapping the memory from the aperture above the 4 GB mark. The logic isn't all that trivial, especially if the aperture size is configurable, so I can understand why they would punt.

-hpa