[RFC] netns / sysfs interaction

From: Al Viro
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 02:23:19 EST

As much as I hate to touch either subject, let alone both at
once... Eric, would you mind explaining what exactly do you want
sysfs to do in presense of your "namespaces"? On the "what does user
see if we do <...>" level.

a) what happens if I do chdir("/sys/class/net/eth42/") and then
migrate?

b) what happens to /sys/class/net/eth0/device visibility/things
it points to/etc.?

c) what happens to open files? E.g. to /sys/class/net - say it,
if migration happens between two getdents(2).

d) what happens to visibility in other parts of sysfs? E.g. to
things like
$ ls /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:0a.0/
bus device local_cpus power resource1 uevent
class driver modalias resource subsystem_device vendor
config irq net:eth0 resource0 subsystem_vendor
$
See that net:eth0 in there? Are all such suckers seen?

e) while we are at it, wouldn't seeing the information in
/sys/devices/pci in general defeat whatever purpose you have in mind
for your stuff?

Context: we need sane locking for sysfs. I think I have a more or less
workable scheme, but its feasibility depends big way on what netns needs
to have.