Re: The ext3 way of journalling

From: Andre Noll
Date: Tue Jan 08 2008 - 12:20:27 EST

On 16:07, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:

> I hate it: every time Linux crashes, e.g. due to power failure, it takes
> almost an hour to boot, because the kernel has decided to corrupt the
> superblock to indicate that it's been years since last file system
> check.

Use tune2fs to deactivate checking.

> And obviously the crappy init system provides no simple way to
> stop the checking, to put it in the background, or whatever.

Modify the init scripts or use another distro.

> The FOSS herd is totally concentrated on creating a WIMP idiot box --
> a cheap plastic clone of Windows -- instead of fixing such fundamental
> problems.
> Windows, by the way, boots like a blaze compared to woeful Linux crap
> (even without the very definition of pure shit: udev, which the crap
> known as Linux practically requires these days).

Don't use udev then. Good old static dev works fine if you have a fixed
set of devices.

> A partial contributor to the slow fsck process is:
>
> hde: ST3160023AS, ATA DISK drive
> hde: applying pessimistic Seagate errata fix
>
> # hdparm -t /dev/hde
> /dev/hde:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 48 MB in 3.01 seconds = 15.96 MB/sec

You're using the sil3112 driver? Edit its blacklist and remove the
entry for your drive. That gives you the usual speed.

> Linux noi 2.6.14 #1 PREEMPT Sun Oct 30 20:18:48 EET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> I've tried upgrading, and failed: the megatonne monolith with a gazillion
> hidden options (and totally worthless make oldconfig)

Gradually upgrade to 2.6.15, 2.6.16...

> is impossible to compile these days,

Check your tool-chain. Many people compile recent kernels with no problems.

> and the distros' stock kernel are utter and total crap
> that load drivers in wrong order etc., and are difficult to configure
> (demanding crap that demands udev to edit their initrds).

Use a kernel.org version.

> Not to even speak of the udev-demanding scsi-mapping insanity of SATA
> etc. devices these days.

Nobody forces you to use udev. Moreover, you can write your own udev
rules that match your expectations.

> I've had it with Linux. It's no longer for power users. It's so complex
> that it's only for idiot users that are content with the shoddy defaults,
> and (paid) developers.

You're not ranting about Linux but about your Distro. Complain on
the corresponding distro-specific mailing list, use another distro
and and stop whining.

Thanks
Andre
--
The only person who always got his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe