[TOMOYO #6 retry 00/21] TOMOYO Linux - MAC based on process invocation history.

From: Kentaro Takeda
Date: Tue Jan 08 2008 - 19:54:47 EST

"TOMOYO Linux" is our work in the field of security enhancement for Linux.
This is the 6th submission of TOMOYO Linux.
(http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/wiki-e/?WhatIs#mainlining)

Changes since previous (November 17th) submission:

* Added security goal document. (Documentation/TOMOYO.txt)
This document is intended to specify the security goal that TOMOYO
Linux is trying to achieve. Thread URL:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/12/25/18

* Added environment variable name control functionality.
Users can restrict the environment variable's names passed to
execve() for each domain.

* Refreshed patches for the latest -mm tree.
Patches are for 2.6.24-rc6-mm1

The possibility of AB-BA deadlock has been pointed out and argued in
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/5/388 .
We believe that LSM functions shouldn't access namespace_sem, so
we chose to write a set of wrapper functions to pass "struct vfsmount" to
LSM functions using "struct task_struct". This method is suggested at
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-security-module@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01712.html .

We wish Linux to merge either AppArmor's "Pass struct vfsmount to ..." patches or
our patches marked as [02/21], [03/21], [04/21] into mainline kernel
so that AppArmor and TOMOYO Linux can safely access "struct vfsmount" from LSM.

Patches consist of five types.
* [TOMOYO 01/21]: Documentation.
* [TOMOYO 02-05/21]: Essential modifications against -mm kernel.
* [TOMOYO 06-19/21]: LSM implementation of TOMOYO Linux.
* [TOMOYO 20/21]: Makefile and Kconfig.
* [TOMOYO 21/21]: Optional modifications against -mm kernel.

We are trying to make a fair ¡Èsecure Linux¡É comparison table, it should
explain the differences between TOMOYO Linux and AppArmor.
(http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/wiki-e/?WhatIs#comparison)

We would like TOMOYO Linux to be added into -mm tree so that more
people can try. Any kind of feedbacks for the patches and the table
would be appreciated.