Re: pnpacpi : exceeded the max number of IO resources

From: Frans Pop
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 04:34:28 EST

Len Brown wrote:
>> > Well, yes, the warning is actually new as well. Previously your kernel
>> > just silently ignored 8 more mem resources than it does now it seems.
>> >
>> > Given that people are hitting these limits, it might make sense to just
>> > do away with the warning for 2.6.24 again while waiting for the dynamic
>> > code?
>>
>> Ping. Should these warnings be reverted for 2.6.24?
>
> No. I don't think hiding this issue again is a good idea.
> I'd rather live with people complaining about an addition dmesg line.

We're not talking about "a" additional line. In my case [1] we're talking
about 22 (!) additional identical lines.

Not fixing this before 2.6.24 seems completely inconsistent:
- either this is a real bug and the ERR level message is correct, in which
case the limits should be increased;
- or hitting the limits is harmless and the message should be changed to
DEBUG level.

It is great to hear that the memory allocation will become dynamic in the
future and maybe that could just justify your standpoint, but having the
messages is damn ugly and alarming from a user point of view.

Please keep in mind that depending on distro release schedules, 2.6.24 could
live for quite a bit longer than just the period needed to release 2.6.25
(if that is when the dynamic allocation will be implemented).

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/1/6/279