Re: The ext3 way of journalling

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 07:26:21 EST

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:54:11AM +0100, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 7:15 PM, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That will fix the this issue. The problem you are facing is that you
> > have your hardware clock set to ticking localtime, instead of GMT.
> > Windows ticks localtime, which is a mistake carried over from the
> > 1970's and MS-DOS. Ticking localtime has all sorts of problems, among
> > which is if you reboot around the transition between Summer Time (or
> > Daylight Savings Time, depending on your contry) and normal time, the
> > OS has no idea whether the DST adjustment has been applied or not.
>
> Actually you can force Windows to accept a hardware clock in UTC:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEMCurrentControlSetControl/TimeZoneInformation/RealTimeIsUniversal

Oh, so cool!!! Do you know off hand what version of Windows started
honoring that registry setting?

And what do you set that registry value to? Just a boolean "true"?

Now, how to convince Ubuntu to put this in their FAQ so I stop having
their ahhh, less than clueful dual-booting Windows users who happen to
live in Europe stop submitting bugs on this issue....

- Ted