Re: Analysis of sched_mc_power_savings

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 08:21:23 EST

* Vaidyanathan Srinivasan <svaidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I will watch this during the experiments. I have been using klog
> application to dump relayfs data. I did run powertop and top as well,
> I will bind them to certain CPUs and isolate their impact.
>
> I believe the margin of error would be less since all the measurement
> tasks sleep for long duration.

ok, long duration ought to be enough.

i think a possible explanation of your observtions would be this: sleepy
workloads are affected more by the wakeup logic, and most of the
power-savings works via runtime balancing.

So perhaps try to add some SD_POWERSAVINGS_BALANCE logic to
try_to_wake_up()? I think waking up on the same CPU where it went to
sleep is the most power-efficient approach in general. (or always waking
up where the wakee runs - this should be measured.) Right now
try_to_wake_up() tries to spread out load opportunistically, which is
throughput-maximizing but it's arguably not very power conscious.

Ingo