Re: Replacement for page fault notifiers?

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 15:23:16 EST

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 06:58:23AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> It's a sane thing to do, Christoph, I don't think it's a unreasonable
> request to put the hooks back in.

As said a few times before there's simply no way we're going to put
exactly that crap back. For one the patch removed a whole lot of
crud from the kprobes code that simply isn't going to come back just
because there are some pagefault notifiers. Second the page fault
notifiers were horribly implemented and quite inefficient. And third
we're not going to put something in just for out of tree code.

Please submit the mmiotrace for 2.6.25 and we'll find some way to make
it work.