CONFIG_NO_HZ breaks blktrace timestamps

From: David Dillow
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 17:48:42 EST

While trying to gain some insight into a disk issue, I found that
blktrace/blkparse was giving me bogus traces -- I was seeing requests
complete before they were even dispatched or queued even! I had thought
that maybe this was an issue with SMP on the box, but when running with
'maxcpus=1', it told me that my 53 second test run only took 3.5
seconds.

I started tracking this down, and upon looking at cpu_clock(), and found
that it uses sched_clock(), which is based on jiffies. At this point I
had an ahah! moment and remembered that I had NO_HZ enabled.

Turning that off got blktrace to report the proper time for the test
run.

I'm not sure of the proper fix, nor am I sure I'm going to have much
time to track this down at the momenet, but I thought someone should
know.

--
Dave Dillow
National Center for Computational Science