Re: The ext3 way of journalling

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 06:50:38 EST

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
Don't use udev then. Good old static dev works fine if you have a fixed
set of devices.
It doesn't, with the unpredictable SCSI mapping insanity.

That what LABEL und UUID-Support in mount is for.

You label the filesystems (e2label for ext2 and ext3) and use that label to mount them

- fstab -
LABEL=root / xfs defaults,noatime 0 1
LABEL=boot /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
Would've been nice if they worked, but they don't.

Disks should be so easy to identify uniquely, because they have
storage space that can be used for that label.

So I tried (debian linux, last year).

Mount by label was fine, of course.
Until the 33rd reboot, when it was decided that a
fsck was necessary "just to be safe". The problem was that fsck
fail to find the correct device when /etc/fstab specifies a label
instead of a device. The boot failed, reboot with init=/bin/sh
and replace the dysfunctional labels with oldfashioned device names.

I can live with this kind of problem on my desktop, but this machine
was going to be a internet router for a customer, so occational
boot failure requiring intervention was not an option.

Helge Hafting