Re: Fwd: Fwd: laptop / computer hardlocks during execution of 32bit applications(binaries) on 64bit system (Gentoo)

From: Ed Tomlinson
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 08:15:37 EST

On January 10, 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Matthew <jackdachef@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > this also happens with rc7-based kernels, btw
>
> hm, exactly what rc7 based kernel? Vanilla 2.6.24-rc7, built by you? Or
> any patches ontop of it? (x86.git perhaps?)

Matthew is not alone with this problem. I have it too. Its not new here. Its
been happening as long as I have had gentoo amd64 installed. It can be hard
to reproduce but eventually, when 32 bit apps are used, my box bricks. There is
nothing in the logs (nor on a serial console) - the box just freezes.

My kernel is _not_ tainted. The kernel is currently 2.6.23-gentoo-r5-crc with
the latest cfs backport applied; it does not seem to be critical though as it has
happen with all kernels I have tried (mm, linux and gentoo varients).

The processor is:

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 1808.802
cache size : 512 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good
bogomips : 3620.77
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

I asked about this lkml before and was told it was probably a cpu/hardware issue... Its
interesting that Matthew is also running gentoo.

Thanks,
Ed Tomlinson