Re: Fwd: Fwd: laptop / computer hardlocks during execution of32bit applications(binaries) on 64bit system (Gentoo)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 08:33:18 EST

* Ed Tomlinson <edt@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Matthew is not alone with this problem. I have it too. Its not new
> here. Its been happening as long as I have had gentoo amd64
> installed. It can be hard to reproduce but eventually, when 32 bit
> apps are used, my box bricks. There is nothing in the logs (nor on a
> serial console) - the box just freezes.
>
> My kernel is _not_ tainted. [...]

ok, good. A series of questions:

- can you reproduce it from the VGA console?

- if yes, does booting with "nmi_watchdog=2 idle=poll" give you a
working NMI watchdog? (working NMI watchdog means the NMI counts
increase for all cores in /proc/interrupts).

if still 'yes', then try to reproduce the hard hang on the VGA text
console - do you perhaps get an NMI backtrace printed within 1-2 minutes
after the hard hang happens? If yes then take a photo of that or write
it down.

Ingo