Re: [patch] split MMC_CAP_4_BIT_DATA

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 03:40:55 EST

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:17:01 +0800
"Bryan Wu" <cooloney.lkml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We were told this is an hardware design issue, so please help us to
> workaround it in software side with Mike's patch.

I'm afraid that's insufficient motivation for this change. All documentation and real world tests say that MMC and SD 4-bit data is 100% compatible. So it's far more probable that you've misdiagnosed your error than this being the actual problem. The fact that 4-bit MMC support has been present for some time and you're only now seeing a problem further supports that.

In light of that, the suggested patch would not only be incorrect, it would also be worse than doing nothing. You would be papering over a symptom, making the real problem harder to find.

If you want something ready for upstream, for now I suggest removing MMC_CAP_4_BIT_DATA completely from your driver's caps field.

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman

Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org