Re: Query on lock protection in random number driver

From: Nikanth Karthikesan
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 06:24:56 EST

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:12 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Nikanth Karthikesan <knikanth@xxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > Also the globals random_read_wakeup_thresh and
> > random_write_wakeup_thresh are not at all protected by any locks! Why
> > locks are not needed for these?
>
> Reading variables sizeof <= native word size (32bit or 64bit depending
> on architecture) is atomic by itself. This is not necessarily
> guaranteed in ISO-C or POSIX threads, but Linux can assume that.

Yes, I found that by checking the implementation of atomic_read.

But I didnt check the implementation of atomic_set before sending the
mail and assumed assigning to a variable may not be atomic on all arch,
and because of that, we may be reading a half-written, variable! But
assigning to an int is also atomic on all arch.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks
Nikanth Karthikesan