Re: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driveropt-in

From: Ivan Kokshaysky
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 18:58:35 EST

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 02:38:03PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 01:28:30PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Hmm. Were all those reports root-caused to just that BAR probing? If so,
> > we may be in better shape than I worried.
>
> I believe so.

Ditto.

One typical problem is that on "Intel(r) 3 Series Experss Chipset Family"
MMCONFIG probing of the BAR #2 (frame buffer address) of integrated graphics
device locks up the machine (depending on BIOS settings, of course).
This happens because the frame buffer of IGD has higher decode priority
than MMCONFIG range, as stated in Intel docs...

Ivan.