Re: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driver opt-in

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 23:47:59 EST

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:42:48PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Wanne bet there'll be devices that screw this up? THere's devices that even screwed
> up the 64-256 region after all.

I don't know if they 'screwed it up'. There are devices that misbehave
when registers are read from pci config space. But this was never
guaranteed to be a safe thing to do; it gradualy became clear that
people expected to be able to read random registers and manufacturers
responded accordingly, but I don't think you were ever guaranteed to be
able to peek at bits of config space arbitrarily.

a retrograde step."