[patch] auto-qa Kconfig

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jan 14 2008 - 11:12:21 EST

* Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > and that is after fixing (in some sense) the first CONFIG_BLOCK=n
> > problem with the patch below. Please test lots of configs. and/or
> > use 'make randconfig' (automated, scripted, e.g., etc.). maybe check
> > Documentation/SubmitChecklist. :)
>
> Ingo seems to be saying that he has some kind of "automated" build
> system to do this kind of checking. Ingo, did you ever post how you
> did this anywhere? I have enough spare machines here that I should be
> able to set up something to test my stuff this way easier than doing
> it by hand all the time (as the above problem proves I do miss things
> :( )

the crux of it is this patch:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/auto-qa-patches/Kconfig-qa.patch

(ontop of x86.git)

adjust your arch/x86/Kconfig.needed whitelist (should already work on
typical systems) and do a 'make randconfig'. Every config is supposed to
build and boot fine, including 'make allnoconfig' and 'make
allyesconfig'. And please let me know about any blacklist items as well.
(right now they are a bit hacky via a "depends on 0" line and a small
comment explaining why they are not suitable in a bzImage kernel.)

( the CONFIG_BOOTPARAM stuff is there to easily randomize boot options -
we frequently have regressions that only trigger with certain boot
option combinations. )

it's somewhat hackish in places. The rest of my scripts (to scp a new
kernel image, to reboot a testbox, etc.) tie in to my specific
environment quite closely and make no sense to be posted. (they are also
quite ugly)

Ingo