Re: [Patch v2] Make PCI extended config space (MMCONFIG) a driveropt-in

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Jan 14 2008 - 19:01:34 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:29:23 -0500
Tony Camuso <tcamuso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

. There is no need to provide different PCI config access
mechanisms at device granularity, since the PCI config access
mechanism between the CPU and the Northbridge is opaque to
the devices. PCI config mechanisms only need to differ at
the Northbridge level.

This ignores the "lets make it not matter for the 99% of the users" case.
. If the system is capable of conf1, then PCI config access
at offsets < 256 should be confined to conf1. This solution
is most effective for existing and legacy systems.

not "conf1" but "what the platform thinks is the best method for < 256".

We have this nice abstraction for the platform to select the best method... we should use it.

And still, it's another attempt to get this fixed (well.. it's been 2 years in the coming so far, maybe this will
be the last one, maybe it will not be... we'll see I suppose, but it sucks to be a user who doesn't need any of the functionality that the extended config space provides in theory but gets to suffer more of the issues)

There actually haven't been that many attempts to "get this fixed". It's been more a) people complaining about it and nothing being done about the problems and b) adding hacks to blindly disable it because of reported problems without root-causing why those problems were showing up. With such approaches no wonder it has not been reliable to try and use MMCONFIG in the past..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx