Re: translations (Re: Kbuild update)

From: WANG Cong
Date: Mon Jan 14 2008 - 20:34:58 EST

>ftp://flower.upol.cz/upload/Configure.help
>
>OK, please, take a look at stuff, Korean guys did 5-6 years ago. One
>particular ARM port (S3C2410X) along with an ARM bootloader (vivi) was
>done. Yet for some reason official Linux port has another developers, and,
>it seems, it was done some time (~1-2 years) later.

I glanced at the page. I don't know Korean, but it seems OK.
What do you mean by saying this? I can't catch your points.

>> I abosutely agree that we should focus on the exsiting bugs of Linux,
>> but like Greg's inclusion of some kernel doc translations, this kind
>> of work is really helpful to attract some kernel newbies from none
>> English-speaking countries. Even we can't make offical efforts,
>> the civil work, like TLKTP, is still worthy.
>
>> Believe me, I am leading a local LUG in my college and I found that one
>> _big_ reason that why the newbies are afraid of Linux kernel is
>> English, instead of the C tricks or low-level programming.
>
>IMHO, there is so much stuff done, that any brilliant C or whatever-asm
>coder *have* to study at least something of it. And, in order to do a
>valuable contribution, one must know the work-flow, people *and* English.
>This is usually done by reading mailing list *and* archives for quite
>some time. This takes time, this takes effort, but this also have huge
>impact on intelligence and culture of the `coders'.
>
>Do you ever have a question about why History exists and is studied on
>all levels of education? Same with programming. Without
>history-via-English, one have no strong roots, thus base for grow and
>flower.

I think you've overstated.

Translation does _not_ mean avoiding learning English. I agree with
what you said above about English. But just as you said, it needs
_time_ and translation *is* a good way to help this. I, myself,
began to learn computer English by reading the translations of some
famous English textbooks, and then reading the original ones.

>OTOH, Internet has so much noise and crap all over the place, that
>information is very hard to find. It takes much time to sort and see it.
>Yet, providing noise generating, like in-tree translations, seems, is a
>very easy way around (not taking maintaining in account).

Translations can be put in .po files.

Thanks.

Cong