Re: Fwd: Re: [2.6.24 patch] restore ARMv6 OProfile support

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 14:16:32 EST

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:07:20PM -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, it goes along the lines of the patch I suggested as a reply to
> > > Adrian, with these differences :
> > >
> > > - I still source the kernel/Kconfig.instrumentation file.
> > > - I put back the missing OPROFILE options directly in arch/arm/Kconfig
> > >
> > > Then end result is the same as your patch, but without the code
> > > duplication.
> >
> > No it's not.
> >
> > Now the config variables may all be there, but the UI for the *menu*
> > system is broken (ie all the ARM profiling config options are now outside
> > the profiling menu).
> >
> > Is that menu really needed? I dunno. But since it exists, it should be
> > correct.
> >
> > Linus
>
> There is an "instrumentation menu removal" patchset I've submitted to
> Andrew for the next release cycle that moves the instrumentation menu
> content into General setup (I did this following your advice).
>
> Furthermore, on ARM, the OPROFILE_ARMV6, OPROFILE_MPCORE and
> OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE are all "bool , default y" (equivalent to the
> preferred def_bool y). Unless I am grossly mistaken, this is not
> supposed to show up in the menus; it's just selected when the
> dependencies are met.

This was the patch:
+if OPROFILE
+
+config OPROFILE_ARMV6
+ def_bool y
+ depends on CPU_V6 && !SMP
+ select OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE
+
+config OPROFILE_MPCORE
+ def_bool y
+ depends on CPU_V6 && SMP
+ select OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE
+
+config OPROFILE_ARM11_CORE
+ bool
+
+endif

And none of these has a prompt defined so they do not show up
as a menu.
It is very easy to test if you have the patch applied.
No cross toolchin is needed - just do:
make ARCH=arm menuconfig

Sam