Re: 2.6.24-rc7-rt2

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 09:13:18 EST

> > > Playing devil's advocate here - the claim is that EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL is to
> > > indicate that code is getting too chummy with Linux internals.
> > >
> > > However, in *this* case, isn't it "code that is too chummy with *GCC* internals",
> > > and thus it isn't our place to say what can and can't be done with code that
> > > is derivative of the GCC compiler? ;)
> >
> > Actually, it got put in there by accident. I usually default all my
> > exports as GPL. But this breaks pretty much everything, so I'll leave it
> > as EXPORT_SYMBOL.
>
> OK, I can live with that. ;)

We modified mcount now, and it is derived from an objdump of glibc. So
this is most definitely a "derived" work from glibc. But glibc is licensed
as LGPL, which IIRC allows for non GPL to link to it.

I personally could care less if we use EXPORT_SYMBOL or EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.
But I really want to do The Right Thing(tm). I'm not a lawyer and don't
claim that I know anything about the law, but I'm leaning towards the non
_GPL version because the code was from LGPL and not from strict GPL.

-- Steve