Re: [patch] VFS: extend /proc/mounts

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 03:36:35 EST

> > The alternative (and completely safe) solution is to add another file
> > to proc. Me no likey.
>
> Since we need saner layout, I would strongly suggest exactly that.

I don't think there's all that much wrong with the current layout,
except the two dummy zeroes at the end. Or, something else needs
fixing in there?

> > major:minor -- is the major minor number of the device hosting the filesystem
>
> Bad description. "Value of st_dev for files on that filesystem", please -
> there might be no such thing as "the device hosting the filesystem" _and_
> the value here may bloody well be unrelated to device actually holding
> all data (for things like ext2meta, etc.).

Right.

> > 1) The mount is a shared mount.
> > 2) Its peer mount of mount with id 20
> > 3) It is also a slave mount of the master-mount with the id 19
> > 4) The filesystem on device with major/minor number 98:0 and subdirectory
> > mnt/1/abc makes the root directory of this mount.
> > 5) And finally the mount with id 16 is its parent.
>
> I'd suggest doing a new file that would *not* try to imitate /etc/mtab.
> Another thing is, how much of propagation information do we want to
> be exposed and what do we intend to do with it?

I think the scheme devised by Ram is basically right. It shows the
relationships (slave, peer) and the ID of a master/peer mount.

What I changed, is to always show a canonical peer, because I think
that is more useful in establishing relationships between mounts. Is
this info sensitive? I can't see why it would be.

> Note that "entire
> propagation tree" is out of question - it spans many namespaces and
> contains potentially sensitive information. So we won't see all nodes.

With multiple namespaces, of course you are only allowed to see a part
of the tree, but you could have xterms for all of them, and can put
together the big picture from the pieces.

> What do we want to *do* with the information about propagation?

Just feedback about the state of the thing. It's very annoying, that
after setting up propagation, it's impossible to check the result.

Miklos