Re: regression: 100% io-wait with 2.6.24-rcX

From: Martin Knoblauch
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 16:51:58 EST

----- Original Message ----

Knoblauch wrote:
> improvements

in
> ext3);

what
> own

2.6.24
> writeback

patchset?

> know

> far

has
> writeback

situation and
> will

definitely

> > > Hi Fengguang,
> > >
> > > something really bad has happened between -rc3 and -rc6.
> > > Embarrassingly I did not catch that earlier :-(
> > > Compared to the numbers I posted in
> > > http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/26/208 , dd1 is now at 60 MB/sec
> > > (slight plus), while dd2/dd3 suck the same way as in pre 2.6.24.
> > > The only test that is still good is mix3, which I attribute to
> > > the per-BDI stuff.
>
> I suspect that the IO hardware you have is very sensitive to the
> color of the physical page. I wonder, do you boot the system cleanly
> and then run these tests? If so, it would be interesting to know what
> happens if you stress the system first (many kernel compiles for example,
> basically anything that would use a lot of memory in different ways for some
> time) to randomise the free lists a bit and then run your test. You'd need to run
> the test three times for 2.6.23, 2.6.24-rc8 and 2.6.24-rc8 with the patch you
> identified reverted.

The effect is defintely depending on the IO hardware. I performed the same tests
on a different box with an AACRAID controller and there things look different. Basically
the "offending" commit helps seingle stream performance on that box, while dual/triple
stream are not affected. So I suspect that the CCISS is just not behaving well.

And yes, the tests are usually done on a freshly booted box. Of course, I repeat them
a few times. On the CCISS box the numbers are very constant. On the AACRAID box
they vary quite a bit.

I can certainly stress the box before doing the tests. Please define "many" for the kernel
compiles :-)

> > OK, the change happened between rc5 and rc6. Just following a
> > gut feeling, I reverted
> >
> > #commit 81eabcbe0b991ddef5216f30ae91c4b226d54b6d
> > #Author: Mel Gorman
> > #Date: Mon Dec 17 16:20:05 2007 -0800
> > #

> > This has brought back the good results I observed and reported.
> > I do not know what to make out of this. At least on the systems
> > I care about (HP/DL380g4, dual CPUs, HT-enabled, 8 GB Memory,
> > SmartaArray6i controller with 4x72GB SCSI disks as RAID5 (battery
> > protected writeback cache enabled) and gigabit networking (tg3)) this
> > optimisation is a dissaster.
> >

> That patch was not an optimisation, it was a regression fix
> against 2.6.23 and I don't believe reverting it is an option. Other IO
> hardware benefits from having the allocator supply pages in PFN order.

I think this late in the 2.6.24 game we just should leave things as they are. But
we should try to find a way to make CCISS faster, as it apparently can be faster.

> Your controller would seem to suffer when presented with the same situation
> but I don't know why that is. I've added James to the cc in case he has seen this
> sort of situation before.
>
> > On the other hand, it is not a regression against 2.6.22/23. Those
>
> had bad IO scaling to. It would just be a shame to loose an apparently
>
> great performance win.
>
> Could you try running your tests again when the system has been
> stressed with some other workload first?

Will do.

Cheers
Martin