Re: Why is the kfree() argument const?

From: Giacomo A. Catenazzi
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 06:47:25 EST

Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:25:39PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
Why do you make that mistake, when it is PROVABLY NOT TRUE!

Try this trivial program:

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
int i;
const int *c;

i = 5;
c = &i;
i = 10;
return *c;
}

and realize that according to the C rules, if it returns anything but 10, the compiler is *buggy*.

That's not how this works (as we obviously agree).

Please consider a rewrite of your example, demonstrating the usefulness and
proper application of const pointers:

extern foo(const int *);

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
int i;

i = 5;
foo(&i);
return i;
}

Now, if the program returns anything else than 5, it means someone cast away
const, which is generally considered a bad idea in most other software
projects, for this very reason.

*That* is the purpose of const pointers.

"restrict" exists for this reason. const is only about lvalue.

You should draw a line, not to make C more complex!

Changing the name of variables in your example:

extern print_int(const int *);

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
extern int errno;

errno = 0;
print_int(&i);
return errno;
}

print_int() doesn't know that errno is also the argument.
and this compilation unit doesn't know that print_int() will
modify errno.

Ok, I changed int to extern int, but you see the point?
Do you want complex rules about const, depending on
context (extern, volatile,...) ?

ciao
cate