Re: echo mem > /sys/power/state

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 07:18:35 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > (it doesnt matter if graphics does not resume fine - at least for my
> > tests)
> >
> > kprobes had similar problems and it now has a few simple smoke-tests
> > - which i just saw trigger on a patch that i did not notice would
> > break kprobes. I think this should be done for all functionality
> > that is not regularly triggered by a normal distro bootup (and which
> > is easy to overlook in testing).
>
> Seeing as we're so lame about being able to distribute userspace
> stuff: create a shell script in /proc/rc.kernel and start teaching
> initscripts to run it. Then we can modify it at will.

would be fine to me. The problem isnt just distribution and the tests
getting out of sync with the kernel (and its capabilities enabled in the
.config, etc.), the other problem is unintrusive testing: i for example
use unmodified images of various distributions, with only a new bzImage
plopped in. That is an intentionally minimal impact test vector, any
userspace side changes are discouraged. And that's how many people test
new kernels, they just plop it in. The moment we require any userlevel
changes, the testing barrier increases significantly.

[ and a Friday rant: that's why the objection against my
make-relatime-actually-useful-to-people patch is so stupid,
shortsighted, self-defeating and misplaced. The "Dont put policy into
the kernel, use a new mount option and update your /etc/fstab"
stupidity that people have been repeating for 10 years without
thinking about it is a move that scares away 90% of our testers and
99% of the distros. See:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/relatime-patches/improve-relatime.patch

Trivial improvement, it's 6 months and still not upstream. We are just
so good at shooting in our feet by creating artificial barriers and
making it as hard as possible for people to actually use our kernel
features ;-) ]

Ingo