Re: [Announce] Development release 0.1 of the LatencyTOP tool

From: Zan Lynx
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 14:02:28 EST

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 09:36 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> The Intel Open Source Technology Center is pleased to announce the
> release of version 0.1 of LatencyTOP, a tool for developers to visualize
> system latencies.
>
> http://www.latencytop.org
>
> Slow servers, Skipping audio, Jerky video --everyone knows the symptoms
> of latency. But to know what's really going on in the system, what's causing
> the latency, and how to fix it... those are difficult questions without
> good answers right now.
[cut]

Just curious...

My biggest latency problems (as observed by me, the user) happen when a
program needs memory, or launching a new program, and the kernel begins
forces dirty memory to disk. This results in an unholy seek storm of
mixed writes (flushing, maybe a little swap) and reads (new program
this as well.

I don't suppose LatencyTop would help track anything down in that case,
would it?
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx@xxxxxxx>