modprobing ipmi_si on Dell Power Edge 2600 make the terminal hang kernel ver. >= 2.6.20

From: william cheng
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 20:41:17 EST

Dear all,

We got some problem on modprobing the ipmi_si module on Dell
Power Edge 2600.
On modprobing the ipmi_si the terminal hang and the process
cannot be terminated by control-C.
We got these messages in dmesg

ipmi message handler version 39.1
IPMI System Interface driver.
ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified bt state machine at i/o
address 0xe4, slave address 0x20, irq 10
Using irq 10
IPMI BT: req2rsp=10 secs retries=3
ipmi_si: Error clearing flags: c6

We have tested a few other dell machine (Power Edge 2500,
2900, ....), and this problem only occurs in Power Edge 2600.

The problem occurs in the following testes
Debian testing lenny
Ubuntu 7.10
Ubuntu 7.04
Fedore 8
Kernel 2.6.20
Kernel 2.6.21
Kernel 2.6.22
Kernel 2.6.22.5
Kernel 2.6.22.14
Kernel 2.6.22.15
Kernel 2.6.23.12

While in the following testes we can successfully modprobe the ipmi_si
Ubuntu 6.10
Debian 4.0r2
Kernel 2.6.18.3
Kernel 2.6.18.5
Kernel 2.6.18.8
Kernel 2.6.19
Kernel 2.6.19.7

It looks like the problem only occurs when using kernel after
2.6.20 with Power Edge 2600.
Anyone know the reason for that?
Any additional information should I provide?
Thanks
William