RE: priority based thread wakeup

From: Mark Hansen
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 23:28:47 EST

>>My question concerns the following patch which was incorporated into
the >>2.6.22 kernel (quoted from that change log):
... "futex priority based wakeup"
>>After updating to this version of the kernel, I was able to observe
the >>above fix, where multiple RT threads invoking pthread_cond_wait(),
and the >>highest priority thread will acquire the mutex first, after
the thread >>holding the mutex calls pthread_cond_signal();
pthread_mutex_unlock()

>>However, since kernel 2.6.23, it seems that the functionality relating
to >>this "priority based wakeup" has disappeared.

>>I understand there have been significant changes in this kernel
concerning >>the "Completely Fair Scheduler" replacing the "mainline"
scheduler; >>however my understanding is that the RT functionality would
be preserved. >>This does not appear to be the case based on repeating
the experiment >>described above.

>Hi,
> I am not sure if this is whats happening to you (*), but there is a
>known problem in the mainline tree related to the system allowing lower
>priority threads to stay on the CPU under certain circumstances.
>
>You can see the problem happening with the following test:
>
>http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Preemption_Test
>
>and I know the problem goes back to at least 2.6.16.
>
>Steven Rostedt and I submitted some patches to address the issue, and
>they have been accepted into Ingo's sched-devel tree. I would suggest
>trying your code against Ingo's tree and see if the problem persists.
>You can get it from:
>
>git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mingo/linux-2.6-sched->de
vel.git

Thanks for the suggestion, however I've just tried this kernel, but the
pthread_cond_wait() behaviour still remains as per 2.6.23 described
above (i.e. highest prio thread doesnt get woken first).

>>(*) I have no information on whether the futex-plist implemetation was

>>pulled from the tree to cause your regression.

I've just had a look at the code from the 2.6.24 kernel and it seems as
though the futex priority list patch code is still included.

>>It is possible that the changes between 22 and 23 are just tickling
>>your environment enough to bring out this RT-preempt issue.

Or that the changes between 22 and 23 are bringing out another issue
whereby the desired behaviour of futex-plist is somehow being
circumvented.

If so, my questions still stand to anyone who might know what has caused
the change in pthread_cond_wait() behaviour for RT threads between the
22 and 23 kernels.

Cheers,
Mark