Re: ATA device reset, shoud I be concerned?

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 20:43:19 EST

> Could you point me to some bugreports?
>
> I would like to know more about hosts/conditions for which it happens.

The timer reset path races the I/O path races the interrupt path. That
was the vomitously foul race that persuaded me to go libata instead. I
seem to remember explaining this all some time ago.

The root cause is that we drop the lock on some error paths.
Unfortunately its almost impossible to fix that without having an
infrastructure for quiescing the driver and running a separate error
handling context (the way scsi does).