Linux and remote control device

From: Francis Moreau
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 03:01:20 EST

Hello,

I'd like to add support for my Infrared remote control to Linux.

So far I only see LIRCD project that make the kernel support
such device but I'm not sure if this project is the best choice
since it's not part of mainline kernels. And there are certainly
good reasons which I'm not aware of.

Another possibility is to make the remote controle device an input
device. But I see several flaws:

- The IR receiver on my board can't be use as a transmitter any
more
- All scancodes are embedded in the kernel.

Do you think it's still the way to go despite the 2 points raised above ?

Thanks !
--
Francis