Re: konqueror deadlocks on 2.6.22

From: Chris Mason
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 14:14:40 EST

On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Al Boldi wrote:
> Chris Mason wrote:
> > Running fsync in data=ordered means that all of the dirty blocks on the
> > FS will get written before fsync returns.
>
> Hm, that's strange, I expected this kind of behaviour from data=journal.
>
> data=writeback should return immediatly, which seems it does, but
> data=ordered should only wait for metadata flush, it shouldn't wait for
> filedata flush. Are you sure it waits for both?

I over simplified. data=ordered means that all data blocks are written before
the metadata that references them commits.

So, if you add 1GB to a fileA in a transaction and then run fsync(fileB) in
the same transaction, the 1GB from fileA is sent to disk (and waited on)
before the fsync on fileB returns.

-chris