Re: factor out common s2ram wakeup code

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 16:24:43 EST

Hi!

(Lists added back to CC, I dropped them by mistake).

>>> Yes, absolutely. I think we should probably segregate out into a
>>> subdirectory the part of the code that should be run in 16-bit mode, and
>>> then it's just a matter of pretty much replicating the mechanisms used in
>>> arch/x86/boot.
>>
>> I'd basically need second copy of bootup code, placed into page with
>> wakeup_code. I guess I could let gcc compile .c into .s , and then
>> include that... but perhaps there is better way?
>>
>>> How can I best be of help?
>>
>> Teach me how to include .c into wakeup.S. I should be able to figure
>> the rest...
>
> Yes, there is a better way.
>
> The biggest question is if your 16-bit code needs to touch symbols in the
> 32/64-bit code, or vice versa. That complicates things a little bit,
> obviously.

The code is in arch/x86/kernel/acpi/wakeup_32.S
. acpi_copy_wakeup_routine needs to know offsets within 16-bit
code. I'd like to somehow call code from arch/x86/boot/video*.c
... current version just took (old) .S code, and cut&paste-s it.

> If not, the easiest way is to link the 16-bit code into a separate binary
> (including both assembly and C code) which can then be included in the
> kernel proper as a binary blob. If it *does* need to reference outside
> symbols, then it needs to be part of the overall link, which means mucking
> with the top-level link script.
> That's obviously more complex.
>
> Either way, the Makefile bit of this will be a lot easier if we move the
> 16-bit code into a separate directory.

I only need arch/x86/boot/video*.c ...

> Let me know which way you think makes more sense, and I can send you a
> framework patch.

I need to access data in that 16-bit code...
Pavel