Re: crash in kmem_cache_init

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 16:27:22 EST

On (22/01/08 12:11), Christoph Lameter didst pronounce:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Mel Gorman wrote:
>
> > Christoph/Pekka, this patch is papering over the problem and something
> > more fundamental may be going wrong. The crash occurs because l3 is NULL
> > and the cache is kmem_cache so this is early in the boot process. It is
> > selecting l3 based on node 2 which is correct in terms of available memory
> > but it initialises the lists on node 0 because that is the node the CPUs are
> > located. Hence later it uses an uninitialised nodelists and BLAM. Relevant
> > parts of the log for seeing the memoryless nodes in relation to CPUs is;
>
> Would it be possible to run the bootstrap on a cpu that has a
> node with memory associated to it?

Not in the way the machine is currently configured. All the CPUs appear to
be on a node with no memory. It's best to assume I cannot get the machine
reconfigured (which just hides the bug anyway). Physically, it's thousands
of miles away so I can't do the work. I can get lab support to do the job
but that will take a fair while and at the end of the day, it doesn't tell
us a lot. We know that other PPC64 machines work so it's not a general problem.

> I believe we had the same situation
> last year when GFP_THISNODE was introduced?

It feels vaguely familiar but I don't recall the details in sufficient detail
to recognise if this is the same problem or not.

> After you reverted the slab memoryless node patch there should be per node
> structures created for node 0 unless the node is marked offline. Is it? If
> so then you are booting a cpu that is associated with an offline node.

I'll roll a patch that prints out the online states before startup and
see what it looks like.

> > Can you see a better solution than this?
>
> Well this means that bootstrap will work by introducing foreign objects
> into the per cpu queue (should only hold per cpu objects). They will
> later be consumed and then the queues will contain the right objects so
> the effect of the patch is minimal.

By minimal, do you mean that you expect it to break in some other
respect later or minimal as in "this is bad but should not have no
adverse impact".

> I thought we fixed the similar situation last year by dropping
> GFP_THISNODE for some allocations?

Whatever this was a problem fixed in the past or not, it's broken again now
:( . It's possible that there is a __GFP_THISNODE that can be dropped early
at boot-time that would also fix this problem in a way that doesn't
affect runtime (like altering cache_grow in my patch does).

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center