Re: Is try_module_get buggy?

From: rmingming
Date: Wed Jan 23 2008 - 09:35:15 EST

> Hi rminming,
>
> try_module_get is designed to ensure that you don't call a function inside a
> module without a reference. Like any reference function, it cannot handle
> the case where the argument is invalid (or invalidated partway through the
> call).
>
> In this case, the module pointer is usually inside a registered structure.
> The pointer will be valid until the structure is unregistered, which the
> calling code presumably prevents while it's doing a lookup.
>
> Hope that clarifies,
> Rusty.

Hi Rusty,

Thank you so much!
I think you mean that this situation can really happen, because this
is a reference function, but it is so seldom, and the common result of
this situation is a kernel oops, it's not very important. Am I right?

Sorry about later reply, thanks again.
Best wishes,

rmingming