Re: [RFC] ext3: per-process soft-syncing data=ordered mode

From: Chris Snook
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 20:20:22 EST

Al Boldi wrote:
Greetings!

data=ordered mode has proven reliable over the years, and it does this by ordering filedata flushes before metadata flushes. But this sometimes causes contention in the order of a 10x slowdown for certain apps, either due to the misuse of fsync or due to inherent behaviour like db's, as well as inherent starvation issues exposed by the data=ordered mode.

data=writeback mode alleviates data=order mode slowdowns, but only works per-mount and is too dangerous to run as a default mode.

This RFC proposes to introduce a tunable which allows to disable fsync and changes ordered into writeback writeout on a per-process basis like this:

echo 1 > /proc/`pidof process`/softsync

Your comments are much welcome!

This is basically a kernel workaround for stupid app behavior. It wouldn't be the first time we've provided such an option, but we shouldn't do it without a very good justification. At the very least, we need a test case that demonstrates the problem and benchmark results that prove that this approach actually fixes it. I suspect we can find a cleaner fix for the problem.

-- Chris