Re: [patch 24/26] mount options: fix tmpfs

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 06:41:20 EST

> Thanks Miklos, that's a welcome enhancement, nicely done. I've only
> noticed one thing wrong (MPOL_PREFERRED shown as "default"); but thought
> shmem_config didn't add much value - I'd rather avoid those syntactic
> changes to unchanged code; and several tmpfs defaults being relative
> (e.g. to totalram_pages, or to mounter's fsuid), I ended up preferring
> to do real tests in shmem_show_options.

I completely agree, this is much better than my version.

> Thus, for example, if memory is hotplugged in or out later, what started
> out as an unspecified size option will then get shown as explicit size.
> (I did think for a while that I wanted to show explicit size in all
> cases; but it looked pretty silly on udev.) I think that's the correct
> behaviour, that otherwise would be misleading; but I may be looking at
> this the wrong way round, what's your view?

I agree, this is the correct way.

I'll add functions for calculating the default max values, so the
calculations won't accidentally become different for the
initialization and the option showing.

> If you agree with the version below, please take it into your collection
> and insert your Signed-off-by. I should admit, I've not yet tested how
> the NUMA policies look: you'll hear from me again tomorrow morning if
> those turn out to wrong.

OK, I'll send this to Andrew. Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow to hear
if it's working on NUMA.

Thanks,
Miklos