Re: 2.6.24-rc8-rt1: Strange latencies on mpc5200 powerpc

From: Luotao Fu
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 10:11:45 EST

Hi,

I took some time today and went through Wolfgangs scenarios partly. Now some results from my side. I ran my tests on a 2.6.24-rt1

Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> I also did some more measurements and made, by chance, interesting
observations. I will summarize in more detail later on. Here are some
preliminary results. My high latencies of up to 570us (without latency
tracer) seem to be caused mainly by the following setting:

CONFIG_RCU_TRACE=m

I also got high latencies without CONFIG_RCU_TRACE set at all. setting CONFIG_RCU_TRACE to y or m causes also high latency though in my test runs. Hence I doubt the rcu Tracer is really the problem.

As I mentioned in my last mail. Only thing I could reproduce reliably is that the measurement results depend heavily on kind of the non-rt Workload. For with hackbench or cache calibrator I couldn't produce abnormal high latencies. Nor could I produce the hight latencies on a system booted via flash. Hence my suspects stays on the fec irq thread and filesystem access routines.

With CONFIG_NO_HZ=y or CONFIG_PPC_BESTCOMM_GEN_BD=y the latency
increases by approx. 100..150us, each.

Since I was producing high latencies independently from the rcu settings. I didn't spend a lot of time playing around with the GEN_BD and dynamic clock. All I can say is that disabling them also cause high latency. ;-) The average results don't differ significantly in my test runs.

cheers
Luotao Fu
--
Dipl.-Ing. Luotao Fu | Phone: +49-5121-206917-3
Entwicklungszentrum Nord http://www.pengutronix.de