Re: [LTP] [TEST] : LTP Build failure on 2.6.24 kernel

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 15:29:26 EST

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 06:53:15AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008, Rishikesh K. Rajak wrote:
> > Here i am getting failure on the x86_64 machine with new kernel.
> >
> > Here is the uname for that machine:
> >
> > rishi@:~/ltp-full-20071231# uname -a
> > Linux rishi.in.ibm.com 2.6.24 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 28 06:47:28 UTC
> > 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> i'm guessing you're using ubuntu and thus dash is your /bin/sh ... shouldnt be
> a 2.6.24 issue
>
> > make[4]: Entering directory
> > `/root/ltp-full-20071231/testcases/network/tcp_cmds/ftp'
> > ../../generate.sh
> > ../../generate.sh: 60: arith: syntax error: "cnt=cnt-1"
>
> sadly, this is becoming a FAQ. ubuntu ships a broken /bin/sh (dash) and thus
> some LTP scripts fall apart. i would prefer to not change the scripts as the
> message is simple in LTP: fix your shell, dont add hacks to LTP. otherwise
> we slowly back ourselves into this corner with the shell scripts where we try
> to support every craptastic shell out there and we're afraid to make any
> changes because we dont know what crappy shell is going to drop a brick. LTP
> scripts are written to be POSIX complaint and only POSIX complaint shells
> should be provided by /bin/sh.

You better fulfil your claim "LTP scripts are written to be POSIX
complaint" before complaining about shells being unhappy with your
script. E.g. where in IEEE 1003.1-2004 is the "local" you use specified?

Or instead of working on making your script using only the stuff
specified in IEEE 1003.1-2004 you could simply replace the #!/bin/sh at
the top with a #!/bin/bash and everbody will be happy.

> -mike

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.