Re: PATCH/RFC: bzImage payload as compressed ELF file.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 18:25:49 EST

Ian Campbell wrote:

What would be the preferred way of allowing bootloaders/domain builders
to find the compressed payload? Tacking the offset from the end onto the
end as I have done for the moment seems pretty skanky...

As Jeremy already mentioned, putting a pointer to the compressed ELF image in the bzImage header (and bumping the version number to 2.08) is the right way to go about it. The compression format (for now, always gzip) can then be identified in the usual way via compression format magic number.

As I've previously expressed, I'm much happier with this approach than having the compressor portion itself be an ELF image, so I'm happy to see this patch. However, I think it needs to ride a cycle in -mm, so although I didn't see any problems from a cursory look I might not get a chance to do a detailed review until the merge window is over.

-hpa