Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 19:35:22 EST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 28 January 2008, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> >Building this and installing it along with the appropriate initrd (which
> >might be handled by Fedora's install scripts)
>
> Or mine, which I've been using for years.

You're ahead of a surprising number of people, including me, if you
understand making initrds.

> >will either get you back to
> >old IDE or will make your kernel panic on boot, depending on whether you
> >got it right (so make sure you can still boot the kernel you're sure of or
> >something from a boot disk). This will also cause your hard drives to show
> >up as different device nodes, so if your boot process doesn't mount by
> >disk uuid but by some other feature (and I don't know what Fedora does),
> >you'll also need to change it to something either stable across access
> >methods or which works for the one you're now using.
>
> It mounts by LABEL=. All of it.

That'll save a huge amount of hassle. So long as you manage to get the
right drivers included and the wrong drivers not included, you should be
pretty much set.

> Fedora is not the only people having trouble, name a distro, its probably
> someplace in that 14,800 hit google returns.

Yeah, but they each may need different instructions, particularly if
they're not mounting by label in general, or not mounting the root
partition by label. That was the big hassle going the opposite direction.
And the procedure is 4 lines to describe to somebody who knows how to
build and install a new kernel for the distro, which is much shorter than
the explanation of how you generally build and install a kernel. A real
howto would have to explain where to get the distro's kernel sources and
default configuration, for example.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*