Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 20:30:47 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Hancock wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
And so far no one has tried to comment on those 2 dmesg lines I've quoted
a couple of times now, here's another:
[ 0.000000] Nvidia board detected. Ignoring ACPI timer override.
[ 0.000000] If you got timer trouble try acpi_use_timer_override
what the heck is that trying to tell me to do, in some sort of broken
english?
A lot of NVIDIA-chipset motherboards have BIOS problems where they
include an incorrect ACPI interrupt override for the timer interrupt,
which tends to cause the system to fail to boot due to the timer
interrupt not working. The kernel normally ignores ACPI interrupt
overrides on the timer interrupt for NVIDIA chipsets for this reason.
Unfortunately on some such boards the override is actually correct and
needed, and so this actually causes problems. Hence the
acpi_use_timer_override option.

In any case this is unlikely to have anything to do with your problem,
since if that was messed up you likely would never have even booted.

In this case, there seems to be a buglet. I turned on the nvidia/amd drives under the ATA section of the menu, and turned off the pata_amd under the sata menu in xconfig.

But I've tried twice now and it fails to build the initrd because the pata_amd module is on the missing list. Of course its missing, I didn't have it built...

Next?

Check the /etc/modprobe.conf file, a lot of distributions use this to generate the initrd. If there's references to pata_amd it'll try and include it.