Re: 2.6.24-rc8-rt1: Strange latencies on mpc5200 powerpc - RCU issue?

From: Luotao Fu
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 07:13:47 EST

Hi,

Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> Do you still get high latencies with:
>
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU_BOOST=y
> CONFIG_RCU_TRACE=y
> CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set
>
> With this setting I have not yet realized latencies > 150us. Could you
> please give it a try? If I change one of the parameters above, latency
> increases in short time.

I played through some combination of the RCU options and can back your observation this time: With the rcu Tracer or the priority boost turned off I also could measure reliably extraordinory high latencies. If they are both turned on, no high latencies could be measured. Turning on the dynamic ticker however doesn't seem to cause high latencies during my test runs. Seemed like an rcu issue here.

Further such results only appear if the target board is booted with nfsrootfs. (As I already have mentioned several times before), which leads my suspection to rcu usage in nfs implementation. In this case this problem might even be platformindependent. I'd have to do some tests on one of our arm boards later to test this. Since there're no reports like this for other architecture as powerpc till now, I doubt quite if this is verifiable.

regards
Luotao Fu
--
Dipl.-Ing. Luotao Fu | Phone: +49-5121-206917-3
Entwicklungszentrum Nord http://www.pengutronix.de