Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

From: Daniel Barkalow
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 12:38:37 EST

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >For starters, enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR.
>
> That could stand to be moved or renamed, it is well buried in the menu for the
> REAL scsi stuffs, which I don't have any of. Enabled & building now.

The "SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)" section of that menu actually
applies to all ATA-command-set devices that don't use the old IDE code.
For example, usb-storage uses "SCSI disk" out of that section, and
I've only seen "Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device" be needed for a
particular USB card reader with two slots. At this point, most of the
things in the kernel that refer to SCSI probably should say "storage" (or
"ATA", really, but that would make the acronyms confusing).

Incidentally, you should be able to save debugging time for problems like
missing "sr" by building it as a module, which will build really quickly
and not require a reboot to test.

-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*