Re: sections mismatches: How to mark new false positives?

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 14:00:34 EST

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:13:06PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:02:55PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > I'm getting the following in the latest -git:
> >
> > <-- snip -->

> > WARNING: arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o(.exit.text+0x1db): Section mismatch in reference from the function msr_exit() to the variable .cpuinit.data:msr_class_cpu_notifier
> >
> > <-- snip -->
> >
> > That's obviously a false positive (unregister_hotcpu_notifier() is a
> > noop if CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=n), but how can I silence the warning?
>
> What is the purpose of __cpuinit?
> It seems to be used for two purposes:
>
> To annotate code that is used to initialize cpu's
> if CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=n then discard it after
> init has completed
> if CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=y then keep it
>
> To annotate all 'core' cpu hotplug related code
> if CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=n then it is not used and
> can safely be discarded
> if CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=y then keep it
>
> And the variable msr_class_cpu_notifier belongs to the last category.
> So the root cause of all the __cpu* related section mismatch
> warnings are the misuse of __cpuinit to mark all core functions.
>
> How are we going to fix this?
>
> I see a couple of possibilities:
>
> 1) annotate like hell to hide the misuse of __cpuinit
> 2) introduce __cpu to make cpu hotplug 'core' stuff
> 3) drop section mismatch checks for __cpu stuff

My main point is not related to __cpu*

E.g. look at the following warnings:

WARNING: drivers/pci/built-in.o(.text+0xa385): Section mismatch in
reference from the function cpci_configure_slot() to the function
.devinit.text:pci_do_scan_bus()
WARNING: drivers/pci/built-in.o(.text+0x13052): Section mismatch in
reference from the function cpqhp_configure_device() to the function
.devinit.text:pci_do_scan_bus()
WARNING: drivers/pci/built-in.o(.text+0x1561c): Section mismatch in
reference from the function ibm_configure_device() to the function
.devinit.text:pci_do_scan_bus()
WARNING: drivers/pci/built-in.o(.text+0x26176): Section mismatch in
reference from the function shpchp_configure_device() to the function
.devinit.text:pci_do_scan_bus()

The code seems to be 100% correct, but how can I silence the warnings
without needlessly bloating the kernel in the CONFIG_HOTPLUG=n case?

> Sam

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.